Coat of Arms of the Roman Union
At the request of the Chapter of 1947, M. St. John Martin had a new coat of arms prepared for the Institute in conformity to heraldic rules. This emblem was based on the coat of arms authorized by King Henry IV in 1607 for the Ursulines of Paris. Cf. Circular 110, p.94
"SOLI DEO GLORIA" (1 Tim. 1, 17)
the only raison d'être of the spiritual adventure; the only raison d'être of Angela's life.
On the left, the serene azure heaven of Angela's open soul. The fire of love surrounds the signs of the Passion and the interlaced initials of Jesus and Mary with a halo of glory. Washed in the blood of Christ, three lilies flourish in the deep blue of eternity: virginity, maternity and charity. On the right, against a shining silver summer sky, a laurel rooted deeply in the green mountain of God, symbol of victory, glory and immortality, evokes for us Ursula (Laurus, anagram of Ursula). In the gold of charity above, a white dove, Spirit of love of the Father and Son, covers with its shadow the branches which the laurel spreads throughout the world to make them bearers of life.